Building your own supply chain visibility solution can have certain advantages over using an off-the-shelf product, although it also comes with its own set of challenges. Whether it's better or not depends on your specific business needs and circumstances. Here are some reasons why building your own supply chain visibility solution might be preferred in some cases:
- Customization: One of the most significant advantages of building your own solution is the ability to tailor it to your specific needs. You can design the solution to meet the unique requirements of your supply chain, taking into account your industry, products, and existing processes. This level of customization is often hard to achieve with off-the-shelf products.
- Scalability: When you build your own solution, you have the flexibility to scale it as your business grows. You can easily adapt and extend the system to accommodate new suppliers, distribution channels, or locations without being constrained by the limitations of a prepackaged product.
- Integration: Building your solution allows for seamless integration with your existing systems, such as ERP, CRM, and WMS. This integration can lead to better data accuracy, real-time information sharing, and improved decision-making.
- Competitive Advantage: A custom supply chain visibility solution can give you a competitive edge in the market by enabling unique features or capabilities that others may not have. It can help you differentiate your business and offer superior services to your customers.
- Data Ownership and Security: When you build your solution, you have full control over your data. This can be especially crucial for sensitive supply chain information. You can implement the security measures that best align with your organization's policies and industry regulations.
- Cost Efficiency: In the long term, building your solution might be more cost-effective if your supply chain visibility needs are complex and evolving. While there are upfront development costs, you can avoid recurring licensing fees associated with off-the-shelf software.
However, it's essential to acknowledge that building your own supply chain visibility solution comes with challenges and potential downsides:
- High Initial Costs: Developing a custom solution can require significant upfront investments in terms of time, money, and resources.
- Expertise and Skill Requirements: Building your own solution necessitates a team of skilled developers and IT professionals who can design, develop, and maintain the system.
- Longer Time to Deployment: Developing a custom solution typically takes longer than implementing an off-the-shelf product, which can slow down your supply chain improvements.
- Maintenance and Updates: You are responsible for ongoing maintenance, updates, and support when you build your solution, which can be a continuous investment.
- Risk of Over-Engineering: Building your solution might lead to the risk of over-complicating the system, especially if you're not careful about sticking to your core requirements.
The decision to build your own supply chain visibility solution or use an off-the-shelf product depends on your specific business needs, resources, and long-term objectives. It's essential to evaluate the costs, benefits, and risks carefully to make an informed decision that aligns with your organization's goals. In many cases, a hybrid approach, combining custom solutions with select off-the-shelf tools, can provide the best of both worlds.
The sweet spot it talk to us! We have built lots of these. We have a framework compatible with all major TMS systems that we can build your solution upon. Working with us gives you that ultimate option of designing your own solution, creating competitive advantage and a differentiation!
Drop us a line ASAP and let us show you what we can do!